2018 Prairie Schooner Book Prize Contest
Deadline: March 15
Prize: $3000 and publication through University of Nebraska Press
Entry Fee: $25
Eligibility: Living writers, published or unpublished, including non-US citizens, writing in English, excluding past or present paid employees of Prairie Schooner or the University of Nebraska Press or current faculty or students at the University of Nebraska.
Questions: Email PSBookPrize@unl.edu
Journal Submission Guidelines: submission guidelines
Book Contest Guidelines: prairieschooner.unl.edu/book-prize
- Fiction manuscripts (entirely short stories or one novella plus short stories) of at least 150 pages. No novels, single novellas or novella collections.
- Poetry manuscript of at least 50 pages.
- No previously published manuscripts, including self-publication.
- Writers may enter both contests.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but notify immediately if accepted elsewhere.
Continue reading “Prairie Schooner Book Prize”
Grace Period Extended Until March 10, 2018
Deadline: The Short Story Award for New Writers is held three times per year: February 28 | June 30 | October 31. A one-week grace period follows each deadline.
Eligibility: New writers whose fiction has not appeared, nor is scheduled to appear, in a print publication with a circulation over 5,000. (Entries must not have appeared in print, but previous online publication is fine.)
Length: Most entries run from 1,000 to 5,000 words, but any lengths up to 12,000 are welcome.
Entry Fee: $18 per submission
- 1st place: $2,500 | publication in Glimmer Train Stories | 10 copies
- 2nd place: $500*
- 3rd place: $300*
*Or, if accepted for publication, $700 and 10 copies of that issue
Announcement: Winners will be contacted directly one week prior to public announcement in our bulletins:
- January/February contest announces May 1.
- May/June contest announces September 1.
- September/October contest announces January 1.
- 1st-place: Courtney Knowlton for “Mean Blonde Ponytail Girl”
- 2nd-place: Alexandra B. Chang for “Tomb Sweeping Day”
- 3rd-place: Amanda S. Torres for “Fortuna”
Sign up to receive Glimmer Train monthly bulletins!
SUBMIT YOUR STORY HERE