Deadline: June 30, 2018
Prize: $2,500, publication in Glimmer Train, 10 copies
Entry: $18 fee, Submittable
Eligibility: Emerging writers whose fiction has not appeared in any print publication with a circulation over 5,000.
Short Story Award Guidelines:
- This category is exclusively open to writers whose fiction has not appeared, nor is scheduled to appear, in any print publication with a circulation over 5000. (Entries must not have appeared in any print publication.)
- Most entries run from 800 – 4000 words, but any lengths up to 12,000 words are welcome.
- Winners will be contacted directly the week before the public announcement in our bulletins on September 1, 2018.
Grace Period Extended Until March 10, 2018
Deadline: The Short Story Award for New Writers is held three times per year: February 28 | June 30 | October 31. A one-week grace period follows each deadline.
Eligibility: New writers whose fiction has not appeared, nor is scheduled to appear, in a print publication with a circulation over 5,000. (Entries must not have appeared in print, but previous online publication is fine.)
Length: Most entries run from 1,000 to 5,000 words, but any lengths up to 12,000 are welcome.
Entry Fee: $18 per submission
- 1st place: $2,500 | publication in Glimmer Train Stories | 10 copies
- 2nd place: $500*
- 3rd place: $300*
*Or, if accepted for publication, $700 and 10 copies of that issue
Announcement: Winners will be contacted directly one week prior to public announcement in our bulletins:
- January/February contest announces May 1.
- May/June contest announces September 1.
- September/October contest announces January 1.
- 1st-place: Courtney Knowlton for “Mean Blonde Ponytail Girl”
- 2nd-place: Alexandra B. Chang for “Tomb Sweeping Day”
- 3rd-place: Amanda S. Torres for “Fortuna”
Sign up to receive Glimmer Train monthly bulletins!
SUBMIT YOUR STORY HERE