Deadline: October 31, 2018
Prizes: £5000 (first place), £2000 (second place), £1000 (third place), £200 (commendations)
Entry: via The Poetry Society website; £7 for the first poem, £4 per additional poem
Eligibility: Previously unpublished poems up to 40 lines by any poet older than 17.
- The competition is open to anyone aged 17 or over at the time of entering. International entries are welcome.
- The closing date of the competition is midnight (UK time), 31 October 2018.
- There is no limit on the number of entries a single entrant can make. All entries will be considered anonymously by the judges.
- Telephone or email confirmation of receipt is not available. Poetry Society staff are unable to confirm the content of documents submitted online, so please ensure you send the correct version.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the judging panel without notice and not to award prizes if, in the judges’ opinion, such an action is justified.
- The judges read all the entries; their decision is final. Neither the judges nor Poetry Society staff will enter into any correspondence.
- No current employee or Trustee of The Poetry Society is eligible to enter the National Poetry Competition.
- All entries are judged anonymously and the poet’s name must not appear on the poem itself.
- All poems must have a title and must not exceed 40 lines in length (excluding title). Entries can be on any subject.
- Poems must be the entrant’s original work.
- Entries must not have been published, self-published, published on a website, broadcast or featured among the winners in another competition before 31 March 2019.
- Handwritten entries cannot be accepted. Entries can be double or single spaced.
- Entries must be written in English.
- The first poem submitted costs £7. Subsequent entries in the same submission cost £4 per poem. Poetry Society members (including those joining at time of submission) get a free second poem, with subsequent poems at £4.
- Prizewinners will be notified by the end of February 2019 and invited to an awards event in spring 2019. All winners will be expected to provide a biography and photograph.
- All entrants who provide a valid email address will be notified about the outcome of their entry by the end of March 2019.
- The copyright of each poem remains with the author. However, authors of the winning poems, by entering the competition, grant The Poetry Society the right in perpetuity to publish and/or broadcast their poem. Use of the poems elsewhere for one year from March 2019 is subject to permission from The Poetry Society.