The Offing, an online literary magazine, is open for submissions in several categories, including fiction, science writing, humor, culture essays, and more. Fiction closes July 16, 2020. There is currently no fee to submit. The magazine “actively seeks out and supports work by and about those often marginalized in literary spaces, including Black and Indigenous people, and people of color; trans people, cis women, agender, gender non-conforming, genderqueer, two-spirit, and non-binary people; intersex people; LGBQA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, asexual/aromantic) people; people with disabilities; and especially people living at the intersections of these identities.”
The Drinking Gourd is a new literary magazine that publishes fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction by Black Muslim writers. Queer and trans writers are especially encouraged to submit. Submissions should be sent to email@example.com. All contributors are paid a $50 flat rate. Support the magazine, which is run entirely by volunteers and hosted on Medium, by donating here.
- Previously unpublished works of fiction up to 8,000 words. Please note, “published” includes any work published in print or online, including online magazines, blogs, public social media sites, etc.
- Multiple submissions will be accepted for the contest only. Simultaneous submissions are also accepted; however, you must notify immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Only authors currently residing in the United States are eligible.
- Submissions will only be accepted via Submittable. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having any trouble with your submission.
Reading Period: June 1 – January 15, 2019
Entry: via online submission manager or by mail; $3 fee
Simultaneous vs. Multiple Submissions
- Ploughshares does not consider multiple submissions. Do not send a second submission until you have heard about the first. Simultaneous submissions to other journals are fine as long as they are identified as such and they are withdrawn immediately upon acceptance elsewhere.
- If you are working on submissions with an agent, or are an agent submitting work on behalf of an author, please read the note on simultaneous submissions with an agent.
- You are encouraged to include a short cover letter with your submission. It should reference:
- Major publications and awards
- Any association or past correspondence with a guest or staff editor
- Past publication in Ploughshares
- Please note that cover letters are to be included as the first page of your submission document. There are no additional comment boxes for adding a cover letter.
- Typed, double-spaced (poetry may be single-spaced) pages.
- Numbered pages.
- If in hard copy, submit with text on one side of the page.
- Fiction and nonfiction: Less than 6,000 words. Excerpts of longer works are welcome if self-contained. Significantly longer work (7,500–20,000 words) can be submitted to the Ploughshares Solos series.
- Poetry: Submit 1-5 pages at a time with each poem beginning on a new page.
- Translations are welcome if permission has been granted.
- Unsolicited book reviews and criticism are not considered.
- Queries to the Look2 Critical Essay series are welcome (see guidelines here).
Deadline: March 1, 2019
Entry: via Submittable; $3 fee
- 5,000-7,000 words
- One piece at a time
- <1,000 words
- Up to three pieces in a single document
- <7,000 words
- No academic articles
- Up to five poems in a single document
- No more than 10 pages total
- Write the title or abbreviated title of each poem, separated by commas, in the “Submissions Title” field
- Submit in .jpg, .tiff, or .pdf format
- Published in grayscale
- Completed, self-sufficient works only
- Max 10 pages
- Work that has already been published in its original language is highly preferred