Reading Period: June 1 – January 15, 2019
Entry: via online submission manager or by mail; $3 fee
Simultaneous vs. Multiple Submissions
- Ploughshares does not consider multiple submissions. Do not send a second submission until you have heard about the first. Simultaneous submissions to other journals are fine as long as they are identified as such and they are withdrawn immediately upon acceptance elsewhere.
- If you are working on submissions with an agent, or are an agent submitting work on behalf of an author, please read the note on simultaneous submissions with an agent.
- You are encouraged to include a short cover letter with your submission. It should reference:
- Major publications and awards
- Any association or past correspondence with a guest or staff editor
- Past publication in Ploughshares
- Please note that cover letters are to be included as the first page of your submission document. There are no additional comment boxes for adding a cover letter.
- Typed, double-spaced (poetry may be single-spaced) pages.
- Numbered pages.
- If in hard copy, submit with text on one side of the page.
- Fiction and nonfiction: Less than 6,000 words. Excerpts of longer works are welcome if self-contained. Significantly longer work (7,500–20,000 words) can be submitted to the Ploughshares Solos series.
- Poetry: Submit 1-5 pages at a time with each poem beginning on a new page.
- Translations are welcome if permission has been granted.
- Unsolicited book reviews and criticism are not considered.
- Queries to the Look2 Critical Essay series are welcome (see guidelines here).