Eligibility: NJ students grade 9-12
• Inclusion of five poems in the National Youth Poet Laureate Program Northeast Region Anthology
• Entry into the National Regional Contest, the winner of which receives a “book deal,” an anthology of their work.
• Consideration for the National Youth Poet Laureate Award
• A New Jersey Governor’s Award
• A special performance of the New Jersey Youth Poet Laureate winners.
• Additional opportunities to perform throughout the year as ambassadors of the NJ Youth Poet Laureate Program.
• Works of poetry, rap, and spoken word.
• 5 poems, including a poem on the theme: “Mind Your Elders,” about senior citizens.
• Creative Writing News: blogs.newarka.edu/creativewritingclass/
• Ms. James at email@example.com
• Writers’ Theatre of New Jersey: wtnj.org/nj-youth-poet-laureate
Deadline: December 1, 2017
NJ Young Playwrights Contest
WHAT: The Writers Theatre of New Jersey invites middle and high school students in grades 4-12 to submit plays to the New Jersey Young Playwrights Contest.
WHO: NJ students in grades 4 -12
LENGTH: up to 20 pages
TYPE OF PLAY: The contest seeks plays with “realistic” structures, but also encourages non-traditional and inventive work. Judges look for strong plot, characterization, dialogue, conflict, theme, and originality.
THEMES: Plays may be on any topic, but there is a special category, “Living with Disabilities” designed for plays either written by an author with a disability, or a play with themes or characters dealing with disabilities.
FORMATTING: Formatting instructions may be found under the Submissions Guidelines tab.
PRIZE: Winning plays will be performed by professional actors at the NJ Young Playwrights Festival in June.
DETAILS & SUBMISSION: Find links on the Creative Writing News or email Ms. James at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Extended to January 15, 2017