Prize: $10,000 and publication in the winter edition of the magazine. Ten finalists will also receive $200 each and publication, and be eligible for the $2,000 Readers’ Choice Award, to be selected by subscriber and entrant vote.
Eligibility: Open to writers, worldwide; poems must be written in English (no translations). No previously published works, or works accepted for publication elsewhere.
1) The entry fee is a one-year subscription to Rattle (or a one-year extension for subscribers) at our regular $25 rate. Current subscribers will receive a one-year extension.
2) One $10,000 Winner and ten $200 Finalists will be selected in an anonymous review by the editors of Rattle and printed in the winter issue; one $2,000 Readers’ Choice Award will then be chosen from among the Finalists by subscriber and entrant vote.
3) Open to writers, worldwide; poems must be written in English (no translations). Rattle’s winter issue must be a potential first publication for all works submitted. No previously published works, or works accepted for publication elsewhere. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but we must be notified immediately if any poems are accepted elsewhere. If you submitted by mail, just call or email to let us know. On Submittable, log in and add a note to your submission (under the “Activity” tab).
4) No identifying personal or contact information should appear on any pages with poems. We can’t know who you are while reading.
5) Entry fees are non-refundable. Send up to four poems per entry. There is no line-limit. Poems may be any length, any style, or any subject. Multiple entries by a single poet are accepted, however each group of four poems must be treated as a separate entry, each with its own cover sheet and an additional $25 fee. Each additional entry will add an extra year to your subscription.
6) Manuscripts will not be returned; include a SASE or email address if you’d like to be notified of the results. Winners will be announced September 15, 2018, and the Readers’ Choice Award Winner will be announced February 15, 2019. Additional entries may also be offered standard publication.
7) Entries may be submitted by Submittable, or in hardcopy within the United States. International entries must be submitted by Submittable. Please note that we’re no longer accepting email entries—all electronic entries must come through Submittable.