Deadline: July 15, 11:59 p.m. EST.
Entry Fee: $20
Prize: $1,000 & publication in Cincinnati Review
Poetry Submission: Up to 8 pages
Prose Submission: Up to 40 pages of fiction or creative nonfiction
Poetry Judge: Don Bogen
Prose Judge: Michael Griffith
Managing Editor: Lisa Ampleman
- Writers may submit up to 8 pages of poetry or 40 pages of a single prose piece, per entry.
- Previously published manuscripts, including works that have appeared online (in any form) will not be considered.
- There are no restrictions as to form, style, or content; all entries will be considered for publication.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable under the condition that you notify us if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- As the contest is judged blind, no contact information may appear anywhere on the manuscript file. Files that do include identifying information will be rejected unread, and entry fees will not be refunded (though you’ll still get your free subscription).
The $20 entry fee includes a one-year subscription to The Cincinnati Review. Multiple submissions are welcome and come with additional yearlong subscriptions, which can be used to extend your original subscription or given as gifts. Submissions accepted only via the online submission manager, through which you’ll pay the entry fee. Again, please do not include the writer’s name or any identifying information in the manuscript file. Instead, in the “comments” field at the bottom of the entry page, enter the writer’s name, mailing address, telephone number, email, and the title(s) of the submitted work(s). Also, be sure to use the “genre” tab to indicate whether your submission is poetry, prose fiction, or prose nonfiction.
NOTE: If you log into your Submission Manager account and see that your contest entry is marked unpaid, don’t panic and, above all, don’t pay again—due to an issue with the contest’s payment gateway, entry fee issues must be reconciled by the contest staff by hand. Please be patient.
Winners will be notified October 1, and an announcement will appear on the Cincinnati Review website. Winning entries will be published in the Summer 2018 issue, which comes out in May.
CONTEST CODE OF ETHICS:
This contest abides by the ethics code of CLMP, the Community of Literary Magazines and Presses.
- This is a blind contest.
- In the first round of judging, the screeners for each of the two contest tracks (poetry and prose) pick 15-40 pieces to send on for the next round of judging. With the “blind” feature still in place, Poetry Editor Don Bogen judges the poetry contest, and Fiction Editor Michael Griffith judges the prose contest.
- As with the Cincinnati Review’s regular submission policy, current and former students, faculty, and staff of the University of Cincinnati are ineligible to submit unless they are more than two years removed from their affiliation with the university.