Deadline: December 16, 2017 at 11:59pm EST.
Eligibility: NJ Students Grades 0-12
Entry Fee: None
~Poetry (one poem, 50-line max.) –FREE CHOICE
~Short story (5-page max. double-spaced) – FREE CHOICE
~Personal essay* (5-page max., double-spaced) – RESPOND TO
Personal Essay Prompt: Awakenings (see below)
Awards: Gold, Silver & Bronze Medal Awards. Gold Medalists receive Governor’s Awards
Personal Essay Writing Prompt: Awakenings
Write a personal essay or narrative about an experience of race, ethnicity, class, religion or gender enlightenment that was significant for you.
We would like you to steer away from general to more personal experiences and observations. For example, you may choose to write about particular toys that were or were not given to you because of your gender, the expectations of important individuals in your life, decisions about where to sit in the cafeteria or what classes to take, conflicts over what information to share or not share in school, decisions about where to go and if you should go to college; the possibilities are wide ranging.
This prompt may bring to your attention a preconception previously unnamed, but it may also enable you to speak about your strengths and joys, about what unites us instead of what divides us.
How to enter:
Visit our web-site at njcte.com and follow the instructions provided. You must be a New Jersey high school student to enter.
To Avoid Disqualification:
- Each student may submit a maximum of one entry in each category (i.e. only one poem, one short story and one essay).
- Each teacher may submit up to ten entries for their students in each genre. Surplus entries will be disqualified in order of submission date.
- The file submitted must be anonymous. Files with student name, school or class on them will be disqualified.
- Genre Winners (poetry, short story, personal essay): Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals.
- Gold medalists are eligible for the Governor’s Awards in Arts Education (GAAE).
- School/District Winners:
Honorable Mention: Top scoring students
From schools with qualifying entries from at least 10 different students sponsored by at least three different teachers
- Certificates of Merit – Top scoring students
From schools which submit qualifying entries from at least three different students
Winners will be notified on or after March 15, 2018. Questions: email@example.com
Gold, silver, and bronze poets have read at the Dodge Poetry Festival in 2014 and 2016.