Profile in Courage Essay Contest
Deadline: Postmarked by January 4, 2018
Eligibility: Grades 9-12
Entry Fee: None
Topic: Describe and analyze an act of political courage by a U.S. elected official who served during or after 1917, the year John F. Kennedy was born. Include an analysis of the obstacles, risks, and consequences associated with the act. The essay may concern an issue at the local, state, national, or international level.
- 700 – 1,000 words
- At least 5 varied sources such as government documents, letters, newspaper articles, books, and/or personal interviews
- Demonstrate an understanding of political courage as described by John F. Kennedy in PROFILES OF COURAGE.
- Include registration form
- Bibliography with proper citations
Role of Nominating Teacher:
- Provide students with support and advice during the writing of their essay.
- Make suggestions for improvement before essays are submitted to the contest.
- Review essays for syntax, grammatical, typographical and spelling errors and ensure the essay meets the contest requirements listed above.
Award: Ceremony at John F. Kennedy Presidential Library in Boston.